“Christmas time is here
Happiness and cheer
Fun for all that children call
Their favorite time of the year…”
Christmas Time IS here, and that makes me think of mittens, cold air, warm breath, Chex Mix, friends and family, pine needles, Christmas ornaments, Christmas cartoon specials (Holla at Frosty), baking, bundling up, and BAILEY’s IRISH CREAM.
Yep, that’s right. Vegan Irish Cream. Or as I like to call it: Breakfast.
Vegan Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 1 can coconut milk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup So Delicious coconut milk creamer
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (use real vanilla)
- 1/3 cup fresh brewed strong coffee (I used Stumptown)
- 1/2 cup -3/4 cup whiskey, to taste
Combine all ingredients in VitaMix and blend till smooth*. Adjust sweetness and whiskey-ness to taste. This recipe makes about 24 ounces. Keep refrigerated.
I’m not sure how long this lasts. It goes fast. Let me know if your batch stays around long enough to gauge shelf-life.
* Alternatively, combine ingredients into a medium size bowl and whisk until smooth. This won’t take long, and will probably be just as easy, or easier, than using a high speed fancy-pants blender. I just live by the motto, “When you CAN put something into a 2 peak horsepower blender, you MUST put something into a 2 peak horsepower blender.”
–> You may want to add chocolate for a richer taste. I melted 5 dark chocolate discs from Trader Joe’s with 1 Tablespoon agave nectar and added it to the mix, but I ultimately preferred the un-chocolate version.
–> Serve over ice (recommended), with coffee (delicious) or just drink straight from the jar (perhaps necessary).
–> The whiskey separates from the rest of the ingredients after about an hour, floating on the bottom. This is normal. Just give it a big shake before using or before foisting upon some poor unsuspecting individual.
Enjoy. If you want to be gangsta-fabulous like me, you can cart 1/3 of your concoction round town on your bike and use it when you order kahlua on the rocks at a bar with friends. If you are, however, unsure as to the awesomeness of adding your vegan Irish Cream liquor to bar-made cocktails, that’s okay. I still love you.